Sunday, June 7, 2009

Parrots, Magnolias, and the Pops

So this past week I was awakened early in the morning by a horrific noise that sounded like a dying squirrel right outside my window. The squawking persisted for a good 15 minutes, so finally curiosity got the best of me and I got up to see what the raucous was about. Imagine my surprise to see a bright green parrot in the tree! For such a pretty bird, they make a really disturbing noise. Sources tell me that these birds have become naturalized (is that the correct term?)in Pasadena due to a pet emporium burning down in the late 1950's!


And then there were two...


In addition to beautiful birds, there are some beautiful trees in bloom right now. The Jacarandas produce a carpet of purple from the falling petals. This brings back memories of Ethiopia, as there are lots of jacaranda trees throughout the country. Also, the magnolias are blooming - and who doesn't love a magnolia?? Also reminds me of my favorite movie: Steel Magnolias.


Tonight there was a free concert given by the Pasadena Pops Symphony Orchestra outside of City Hall. It's so nice to have free cultural events so close-by. City Hall is such a lovely spot in the city. For those of you into the Hollywood side of things, Pasadena's City Hall is the backdrop to the show "Parks and Recreation." I actually walked through the building one day when they were filming. If you've seen the show, see if you recognize it from my pictures...

2 comments:

Dianne said...

i heard them! but i was too sleepy to get up and take pictures!

Ben Bacheller said...

You know...if you want to see more of those Jacarandas, you can come to their native country: Brazil! We'll save a place for you to visit! :-)