Saturday, June 20, 2009

California Central Coast

First quarter at Fuller is in the books. Seven more to go... The quarter system really keeps things moving. I think I like it, though. We had a one week break this past week before summer intensive classes begin on Monday.

So on Friday, the last day of finals, I boarded a train headed north to Grover Beach. It was a 5 hour train ride along the stunning coastline and through long stretches of agricultural fields - acres and acres of strawberries, garlic, broccoli, lettuce, and beans.
The purpose of my trip was to spend a weekend getting my "life mapped" by a couple with hoards of experience in counseling, mentoring and church missiology. A grant was awarded to Fuller for new students to participate in this to help us have a stronger sense of our calling and vocational path. Who doesn't want greater clarity in their calling??
I spent two days with this couple talking about myself...yes, 2 days talking about me! Talked about my life experiences, turning points, family, friends, social life (or lack of!!) talents, and a bunch of other stuff. Then we set about making a timeline and outlining goals to achieve over the next 5 years in order to stay aligned and focused on a trajectory towards achieving vocational, personal and family goals. I won't go into all the details of what they are, but will say that the timeline spans over the next 5 years...2014...seems like a lifetime away! And then you think about 5 years ago...2004...seems like yesterday!

I also wanted to share some pictures of the Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande area, which is near San Luis Obispo. Wow! Talk about straight out of a movie! This place is like Mayberry! Patriotic flags flying, flowers blooming perfectly in a row, people pushing baby strollers and smiling to their neighbor across the street. Honestly, places like that do exist! Here are some pictures to prove it!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look puzzled...hehe : )

Rachel said...

I recognized that plaza with the trees and Flowers...and then I realized from your writings that you were in my family's neck of the woods in SLO county. Fabulous!