Friday, December 28, 2007

Malcom Ghena!

That's "Merry Christmas" in Amharic.  And it was a merry one.  Scott, the other 'ferengi' long-termer, and I went to Addis for the weekend.  If we were going to experience any sort of traditional celebration, it would have to be there.  The western-style shopping centers were all decorated with Christmas trees and an occasional Santa statue (no live ones!), with Christmas music in the background.  That helped to get me in the spirit.   We went to 2 Christmas programs at English-speaking churches.  One of them even had a French choir! They sang a song we had sung in the French choir in Burkina (for Daphne: "Cloches sonnets resolu.  Pais salu! En Jesu!").  It made me a homesick for my friends there, but I was so filled with joy to reminisce about the wonderful time in Burkina.  At that service, we sang most of the traditional carols, which was what I was craving to make the celebration more complete. 

Of course, it wasn't complete without being home with family.  However, God blessed us with an invitation to have Christmas dinner with some other missionaries in Addis, giving a family atmosphere.  Gary and Peggy, who serve at a Korean hospital in the city, hosted us, along with their daughter, visiting from Illinois.  After eating, we played speed scrabble and Dutch blitz. That really felt like Christmas…I couldn't have asked for anything more.  

Well, maybe one other thing…I needed my cow fix!  Marta and Deme (the founders of Project Mercy) invited us to stay at their home while we were in the city. They have a few animals in their compound, and I got some quality calf time Christmas morning!  Take notice of the scarf I'm wearing that Mom knitted for me, which I received Christmas eve…thanks, Mom!

There's not exactly that letdown that we all have after Christmas is over in America since we have another Christmas to look forward to in 2 weeks!  We'll be staying in Yetebon for that one to celebrate with the kids here.   

1 comment:

andrea said...

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too, buddy! Sounds like a good one. : )