Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas In Yetabon

I’d like to introduce you to some of my dear friends here.

Zoedeetu is a “house mother” to the 60+ kids who call Project Mercy home. She also works as an evangelist at the church during the day. Zoedeetu has been an incredible Christian mentor to me. She radiates love for Christ and shares that love with all she meets.









Mohammad is the farm manager here. He carries a lot of responsibility and always has “bizou sera” (a lot of work to do), but never fails to greet me with a big smile. He’s a very innovative and ambitious farmer. Several of his children are in the Project Mercy school.











Salam is the baby of the family, and being the baby amongst 65 kids equals a lot of attention! It’s fun to see the other kids, as well as many of the workers, dote on her and shower her with affection. She’s well-loved! When I first arrived, she wasn’t very comfortable with the white people. She’s since warmed up to us and now calls my name when she sees me.










These 2 little guys are also given a lot of attention. Tesfu, on the left, is Salam’s brother, and the 2nd youngest house kid. My favorite memory with him occurred soon after I arrived. I was taking a jog in the field, and he wanted to come along. As we were “running,” he was jabbering away in Amharic, oblivious to the fact that I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Every once in a while, his voice would inflect in a question and he would look up at me, to which I would nod and smile.

Abenezer is a sweetheart, too. He was the first surgery patient in the hospital here. He had an intestinal blockage when he was only about 2 ½ years old. Today he’s a very hyper little kindergartner.








This is Whinishet with her son, Yididiah. Whinishet teaches English in the primary grades. She and her husband, Danny, who is also a teacher, are very active in the church. Whinishet has a gift of hospitality, often inviting us to her home for a “coffee ceremony,” an Ethiopian tradition where the coffee is roasted and prepared in front of you while everyone sits and chats. Yididiah will steal your heart when he says “What’s up?” in his cute little toddler accent.









These 3 ladies are very important to me and all the guests at Project Mercy. Allum, Workie, and Totiledge are the cooks, and what wonderful cooks they are! These ladies are in the kitchen by 6am and they don’t turn the lights off until after 9pm! I have so much admiration for the long days they put in 7 days a week! And they remain so gracious and loving. I didn’t think I would like Ethiopian food very much before I came, but they’ve got me hooked!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

good grief i think i would have multiple heart attacks if i got to see those kids every day. cute!! you are a very blessed girl : )