Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Orthodoxy

Today's lecture dealt with a topic I had some firsthand experience with - Eastern orthodoxy. We learned about the original movements of orthodoxy throughout the Middle East - Constantinope, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria and Rome, and also the Ethiopian Orthodox church.  While I was in Ethiopia, I was puzzled by the Orthodox church.  When the subject of religion came up, which was quite often, and I responded that I was Christian, it was always accompanied with "Protestant or Orthodox?"  Initially I wasn't sure how to respond.  What was the difference? How would I be perceived based on my response?  Generally, it didn't create any ill will, but when I would turn the question to them, if they were orthodox, they would basically infer "I'm Ethiopian, so I'm Orthodox."  My general impression was that the Orthodox church was a cultural religion and not necessarily a true faith.  However, that belief was discredited by people who held sincere faith convictions within their Orthodox traditions.  I will say that this group was the minority, but still it was heartening to know that some took their faith seriously. 
When the church becomes so intrinsically connected with the state as Orthodoxy often is, there is danger in confusing the identity and purpose of the church.  While our faith beliefs can inform our stances with regard to politics and the state, I believe there are severe consequences that result in combing the two.  During the Enlightenment, a separation was distinguished between church and state in the West.  However, in the Orthodox tradition, the name alone identifies these churches with the state - Ethiopian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc.  The church should not be our governing authority, but should inform our governance and desire to follow God's will.

No comments: