Sunday, April 20, 2008

Trip, Part 2

From Bahir Dar, we drove east on a terribly dusty, bumpy dirt road (currently being reconstructed by the Japanese) to Lalibela. Lalibela is a tiny town isolated in the mountains at about 8,600 feet in elevation, renowned for its rock-hewn churches carved out of red volcanic rock in the 12th century.



The priests there today say that it took thousands of workmen about 40 years to chisel out the churches; and while they slept at night, angels would come to continue the work, digging three times the amount of the men.


There are 12 churches present there today, the largest 63 feet high, 45 feet wide and 24 feet deep. I was amazed at how well-preserved these churches have remained after 800 years. There's so much detail present in the carving, as you can see in the photos.


Each church possesses its own cross, uniquely designed with religious symbolism, along with other ancient paraphernalia such as Bibles made of animal skin and prayer sticks that King Lalibela and other priests used to prop themselves on as they prayed through the night.


Lalibela was my favorite stop on our trip. It really felt like going back to Biblical times, as we walked by donkey carts on the road and people carrying their market goods. It's a very picturesque location nestled in the highlands, the terrain reminiscent of the Badlands in South Dakota.


The Lalibela locals were also some of the friendliest people we encountered on our journey. Someone before me made the name "Sara" famous somehow because when we arrived at our hotel, people were calling my name before our vehicle even stopped (the hotel reservation was in my name). Even as we walked throughout the town, I'd randomly hear people say my name. So this was my day to feel famous. Lalibela also has the best macchiatos in Ethiopia…maybe the world…but I wasn't a coffee drinker before coming here, so I can't say for sure.

No comments: