Friday, January 4, 2008

Science Experiment

I'm working with the Grade 11 Biology teacher to conduct an agricultural experiment with her students. They are growing beriberi, a type of chili pepper very common in Ethiopian dishes, in 2 different soil media – one with local Ethiopian soil, and one with a bagged potting mix from the US.

Beriberi is a cash crop for this area. Three years ago, the dried red chilis cost 12 birr/kg. Today the price has jumped to over 30 birr/kg!

The students faithfully come daily and measure the plants. During their visits to the greenhouse, they check out what we're doing and often ask questions about the tree project. Hopefully we have a few arborists in the making! Either that, or they're trying to get out of the classroom a little longer. Yeah, I wasn't born yesterday, but let a girl dream!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are SUCH a teacher. : ) And, hey, I hope you got something in the mail recently. I'm not sure how reliable your postal service is, but...here's to hoping. : )

Unknown said...

yum! i love beriberi! it is so hot it makes me cry. and i second andrea's comment...they're defintitely there because of YOU! and i'm also hoping the postal service is reliable...

Chad Duncan said...

Hey Sarah! Chad here. I made it home and letting all of Africa sink in. Loved reading your stories! I miss you guys! I also miss Ethiopian food :)

Check out my blog if you get a chance:

http://web.mac.com/chaddychad/Step_Into_Africa/The_Dunc.html

P.s. I heard you met some good friends of mine - Jim and Becky Brown.

Say hi to Marta and Deme

Well, happy 2008!

Chad